Whether you’re looking for a savory recipe to kick up your culinary skills or something sweet to cap off a feast for family and friends, summer is a great time to explore fresh flavors in a new way. Check out these recipes that will become some of your go-to favorites perfect for summer fun!
Sheet Pan Jalapeño Pineapple Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Garlic Sauce
Easy, delicious, memorable — that’s what this recipe courtesy of Half Baked Harvest is all about! Just start with a sheet pan, and before you know, dinner will be served! Jalapeño pineapple shrimp tacos with cilantro garlic sauce have everything you could possibly want in a tasty summer bite.
- 1 1/2 pounds of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Warm tortillas and smashed avocado, for serving
Garlic Cilantro Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2–3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup of chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
- 2–3 cups of shredded green cabbage
Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Salsa
- 1–2 jalapeños
- 1 cup of diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice from half an orange (about 1/4 cup)
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, toss the shrimp with olive oil, chili powder, allspice, ginger, thyme, cinnamon, cayenne, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer. Add the garlic (for the garlic sauce) and the jalapeños (for the salsa). Roast 6–8 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked. During the last minute, switch the oven to broil and broil until lightly charred. Set the shrimp aside.
- To make the sauce, squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin and add to a blender with the yogurt and lime juice. Blend until smooth. Add the cilantro, green onions, and a pinch of salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add the cabbage to a large bowl and toss with 1/3 cup of the garlic sauce.
- To make the salsa, de-seed the jalapeño (if desired), then chop and add to a bowl with the pineapple, cilantro, orange juice, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Stuff the avocado, slaw, salsa, and shrimp into the warmed tortillas. Top with the garlic sauce and additional salsa.
Strawberry and Lemon Trifle
Ruby-red strawberries and sunny lemons pair nicely together for a summer dessert sure to please your guests. This delicious trifle courtesy of Taste of Home is a wonderful way to end any meal, and the overall look of it is a showstopper.
- 4 ounces of fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup of fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups of fat-free milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) of instant lemon pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups of sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon of white grape juice or water
- 1 prepared angel food cake (12 ounces)
- Optional: Whipped topping and additional strawberries
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and the yogurt. Add the milk, the dry pudding mix, and the lemon zest; beat until smooth. In a blender, process 1/2 cup of strawberries and grape juice until blended.
- Tear the cake into 1-inch cubes; place a third in a trifle bowl or 3-quart serving bowl. Top with a third of the pudding mixture and half of the remaining strawberries. Drizzle with half of the strawberry sauce. Repeat on all layers. Top with the remaining cake and pudding mixture. If desired, garnish with whipped topping and additional strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.